Sunday, March 4, 2007

Books, Bagels, and Bogus

I've just started reading another one of Steven Brust's novels, The Phoenix Guards. I've read the Taltos series, but this is totally different, and it is hilarious. Mr. Brust's webpage gives a succinct synopsis of the book, along with all his others. Speaking of his other books, you should go buy them. Seriously.

It's a wonderfully boring day here on Oahu, which is good news for people who like consistency. I woke up the boring sound of my boring alarm clock, decided to be boring by going back to bed for an hour, and then woke up for real and ate two boring bowls of cereal. Tomorrow I'm going back to ugly and boring school, and I'll spend the day wishing I had a real bagel. Real bagels are not boring, they're mellow. Get it right.

Bagels... if anyone knows where I can find a real bagel in Honolulu (if you're a New Yorker who has ever been exiled long enough to miss bagels, you know the kind I mean), I would be very grateful if they told me. They have these things called "bagels" in Hawaii, but they are not true bagels.

True bagel
: dense, chewy bread with a hole in the middle; best enjoyed with a savory, not sweet, spread, like cream cheese and lox. Made by boiling the dough before baking.

False bagel
: soft, round bread with a hole in the middle; comparable to a dense, flavorless donut, which explains why people who eat them often put sweet spreads on them. Made by committing blasphemy against true bagels.

Did you know:
That people in Hawaii know what salmon is, but most have never heard of lox? What is this bogus?

No comments: