Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Awesomeness of Stonework


I don't suppose I ever mentioned that I'm a huge fan of stonework? More specifically, stonemasonry is my thing. Sometimes I think I'll just forget getting a fancy-schmancy degree and become a stonemason. I've added a new link to this group called the Stone Foundation, an organization with a punny title. That there is a picture of a young Yakov Smirnoff admiring Warwick castle.

What's that? You didn't know that people still did that sort of thing? Well, I'll have you know, Mr./Ms. Modern Smartypants, that there are still people in this world who appreciate buildings that look nice, particularly buildings of stone. I, for one, find the mass of concrete blocks that make up Honolulu to be absolutely hideous. Yeah, yeah, I know, who am I to complain about living in Hawaii, right? You wouldn't say that if you could see what a total dump this place is. With everything centered around tourism, Hawaii's non-touristy parts are really crappy, and we're totally dependent on stuff that comes in by ships.

Anyway, back to stonework, I want to build myself a castle. It'll be big and beautiful, and I'll build stone cottages nearby and sell those to people who want to live in a modern version of a medieval village. I have a cousin who loves horses; I think I'll build some top-notch stables (like the ones you see in Rohan in the Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers). Then I can host jousts and Renaissance faires (Ren faires are spelled with that extra "e", just because). Of course, I probably won't be able to do it alone, so I'll need a few like-minded friends who can help out. Smart people, rich people, creative people, the whole spiel. I honestly hope to make this my life's work.

No comments: